Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Apply for Services Link Link to Career Page

LinkButton :

Skip navigation linksHome > Services > Economic & Employment Services

main content

Economic & Employment Services Child Care Subsidy


The Child Care Assistance, also known as Child Care Subsidy Program, helps pay for child care costs. It helps many types of families. These include the following:
  • Families who receive TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) - This program helps these families get and keep jobs.
  • Low-income, working families.
  • Some families in education or training activities - This provides help for keeping a job or getting a better job.
  • Teen parents completing high school or GED.
 For further information on the Child Care Assistance Program:
  • Call 1-888-369-4777
  • Pick up applications at any DCF Office
  • Printable (PDF) Application for Child Care - English Español

To qualify, families must do the following: 

If a parent/guardian/caretaker needs child care, the program can provide financial assistance.  Persons must apply and be able to act on their own behalf.  The family and the child must live in Kansas.  They must provide all income information, identity verification for all adults and proof of citizenship and birthdate for all children for whom assistance is requested.  If parents are absent from the home, the one in the home must work with Child Support Enforcement.


The child must be under age 13.  If a child age 13-18 cannot provide self-care, they may qualify for assistance in certain cases.  Staff consider both physical and mental self-care skills.  If a court oversees the child, he may qualify for assistance.
Resource Information:

Families must not have more than ten thousand dollars ($10,000) of countable resources. Your worker will review what assets you have. Some resources are not counted, such as:
  • the home in which the family lives
  • furniture, personal items, and some tools
Income Information:

Staff will consider the monthly income for each family member.  The income includes wages before taxes and child support.  Staff do not count some income.  Examples include SSI and Student Loans.
If the family’s income meets program standards, they may qualify for child care assistance.  Families use this assistance towards the cost of the care from their chosen child care provider.  Most families must pay part of the child care costs.  Assistance amounts vary by family based on individual case circumstances.
Maximum monthly income guidelines are as follows:
Listing of key staff
​​Maximum Monthly Income


Maximum Income

2 $4,737
3 $5,851
4 $6,966
​5 ​$8,081
​6 ​$9,195
​7 ​$9,404
​8 ​$9,613
​9 ​$​​9,822
​1​0​​ $10,031​​





Child Care Providers: 

Parents choose their child care provider from the following types:


  • Licensed child care center
  • Licensed family child care home
  • Licensed group child care home
  • Out of Home Relative Provider
  • In-Home Relative Provider


A relative provider must be at least 18 years of age and not be living with the child.  Grand-parents, great-grandparents, siblings or an aunt/uncle of the child.  Cousins and great aunts/uncles do not meet the relationship requirement.

If a person is caring for his or her own child, the Agency will not give assistance.  Also, if the provider lives in the household, the Agency will not give assistance.  Providers must enroll with the Agency to be eligible for payment from parents.  They must be able to receive payments electronically (direct deposit) into a bank account. 

Regulated providers interested in enrollment to serve subsidized families should call 1-888-369-4777 or visit a local office.
How Parents Pay

Child care assistance is issued to families using the Electronic Benefit transfer (EBT) Kansas Benefits card.  It is similar to a debit card.  Cash and Food Assistance are also issued through the Kansas Benefits card.  Assistance is put into a child care account on the Kansas Benefits card on the first of every month.  Families use this assistance to pay providers electronically during the month.

EBT Brochure - Child Care (English) (Spanish​)

eFunds Corporation is the EBT contractor in Kansas.  They actually transfer the money to the provider’s bank account when the family requests it.  Providers must enroll with eFunds Corp. in order to get payment.