Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Apply for Services Link Link to Career Page

LinkButton :

Skip navigation linksHome > Services > Prevention and Protection Services

main content

Prevention and Protection Services Reporting Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation of Adult and Child

Thank you for taking the first step in protecting the children and vulnerable adults of Kansas.
If this is an emergency, call your local law enforcement agency or 911.

How can I report abuse or neglect of an adult or child?
Reports of Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation of an Adult or Child may be made to the Kansas Protection Report Center by calling 1-800-922-5330.

Kansas Relay Center can facilitate communication with Kansans that have hearing and/or speech disabilities by calling 1-800-922-5330.

Are you a Mandated Reporter?

To get more information on who is a mandated reporter and the availability of online reporting, please click here to access the Mandated Reporter Portal.

What information do I need to provide when I make a report?

You should provide as much information as possible about the situation. Click below to get tips for making a report.

Child Report - Tips for making a report
Adult Report - Tips for making a report

Can I find out information after I make a report?

Yes, when making a report you will be asked if you would like to receive a reporter notification letter. If you select yes, you will receive a letter within 7-10 business days telling you if the report was assigned for investigation. You will be provided an Intake ID number for your records. If you remain anonymous you will not be able to receive the Intake ID number or a reporter notification letter.

Federal and State laws protect the confidentiality of children, families and adults by prohibiting DCF from disclosing additional details. DCF is unable to release further information to you without a written release of information.

How do I get a Reporter Notification Letter?
At the time of making a report you will select if you would like to receive the reporter notification letter. If you lost the letter or later determine you need the reporter notification letter, you can submit a request online. Click here to submit your request for a reporter notification letter.

The letter will be sent to the address listed under reporter information. We are not able to send reporter notification letters to a different address than what was initially provided. If you do not have an Intake ID or remained anonymous you will not be able to receive the reporter notification letter.

How do I know if it is child abuse?

For more information on the signs and symptoms of child abuse, please read A Guide to Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect.

Other Resources:

  • Truancy Resources by County
  • To report an unexcused school absence, please fill out this form:  PPS1006-Report of Unexcused School Absences
  • If you have concerns regarding customer service related to DCF, please visit the Customer Service portion of the website by clicking here.
  • If you suspect a person is receiving public assistance to which they are not entitled, call the Fraud Hotline at 1-800-432-3913. We will take the information provided and investigate. Reporters to this hotline can choose to remain anonymous but should try to provide as much detailed information as possible.
  • Notice to Victims of Human Trafficking
    If you or someone you know is being forced to engage in any activity and cannot leave - whether it is commercial sex, housework, farm work or any other activity - call the toll-free National Human Trafficking Resource Center Hotline at 1-888-373-7888 to access help and services. The toll-free hotline is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week; operated by a nonprofit, nongovernmental organization; anonymous and confidential; accessible in 170 languages; and able to provide help, referral to services, training and information.
  • Dial 1-800-273-TALK (8255) for the free 24-hour National Suicide Prevention Lifeline if you or a loved one is experiencing suicidal crisis or emotional distress.
  • State of Kansas DCF Informational Technology Resources Warning Banner