Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Apply for Services Link Link to Career Page

LinkButton :

Skip navigation linksHome > Services > Economic & Employment Services

main content

Economic & Employment Services Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP)

TEFAP Overview
TEFAP provides free USDA commodity foods to low-income households throughout Kansas. TEFAP food is shipped five to six times per year to participating organizations for distribution.
Organizations determine when and how often food is distributed. The foods may include canned vegetables, fruit, juice, meat, cereal, peanut butter, nonfat dry milk, and pasta.  Each shipment provides a minimum of four and a maximum of 10 foods per household.
Persons who work but have low income, as well as those who do not work, are eligible for this program. Persons must be Kansas residents. They must apply in their home county, provide proof of their amount of income and household size (if asked) and must sign a form stating that they qualify for the program. Persons may pick up food at only one location in their community.
Below are the maximum gross monthly income guidelines for TEFAP:

Household Size Maximum Income
1 $1,396
2 $1,888
3​ $2,379​
4​ $2,871
5​ $3,363​
6​ $3,855​
7​ $4,347​
8​ $4,839*​
Effective July 1, 2021.
*For each additional family member add $492.
TEFAP reporting due dates & Mileage Reimbursement Rate
All organizations and staff who distribute TEFAP commodities should familiarize themselves with civil rights procedures. Visit the Commodity Civil Rights Procedures Page.
If you need additional information, please contact Nataly Montufar at (785)-296-2072 or email
Go back to USDA Commodity Programs main page.
In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.
Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.) should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits.  Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.
To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complain Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form.  To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992.  Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:
(1) mail:  U.S. Department of Agriculture Office
               of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
               1400 Independence Avenue, SW
               Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;
(2)  fax:  (202) 690-7442; or
(3)  email:
This institution is an equal opportunity provider.