Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Skip navigation linksHome > Services > Economic & Employment Services

Economic & Employment Services Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP)

TEFAP Overview
TEFAP provides free USDA commodity foods to low-income households throughout Kansas. TEFAP food is shipped five to six times per year to participating organizations for distribution.
Organizations determine when and how often food is distributed. The foods may include canned vegetables, fruit, juice, meat, cereal, peanut butter, nonfat dry milk, and pasta.  Each shipment provides a minimum of four and a maximum of 10 foods per household.
Persons who work but have low income, as well as those who do not work, are eligible for this program. Persons must be Kansas residents. They must apply in their home county, provide proof of their amount of income and household size (if asked) and must sign a form stating that they qualify for the program. Persons may pick up food at only one location in their community.
Below are the maximum gross monthly income guidelines for TEFAP:

Household Size Maximum Income
1 $1,265
2 $1,705
3​ $2,144​
4​ $2,584
5​ $3,024​
6​ $3,464​
7​ $3,904​
8​ $4,344*​
Effective April 1, 2014.
*For each additional family member add $440.
All organizations and staff who distribute TEFAP commodities should familiarize themselves with civil rights procedures. Visit the Commodity Civil Rights Procedures Page.
If you need additional information, please contact Lori Slusser at (785)-368-8120 or email
Go back to USDA Commodity Programs main page.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department.  (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.)
If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form.  Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office or Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S. W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at
Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish).
USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.