Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
LinkButton :

Skip navigation linksHome > Newsroom

main content

Newsroom USDA Payments Subject to Child Support Collections

Topeka – The Kansas Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services (SRS) encourages anyone who owes past due support to bring their account current and to stay current to avoid interception of certain federal payments.

Beginning in August, United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) subsidy payments to individuals may be intercepted to pay past due child support owed by the person receiving the agricultural subsidy.  The USDA joins an array of federal agencies already participating in the federal offset program for CSE, including the Internal Revenue Service.  

“Parents who farm and ranch in Kansas and who pay their child support regularly shouldn’t be affected by this change,” said Janis DeBoer, Director of CSE for SRS.  “But parents who have let their support debts go unpaid need to know that their USDA payments may be intercepted.”

Affected individuals will receive notification at the time the offset occurs.  If the person disputes the debt, he or she has the right to appeal.

Weekly, CSE certifies its list of debts for past due support to the federal offset program.  If a federal payment is owed to a support debtor on the list, the amount certified by the State is withheld and applied to the person’s past due child support debt.  The rest of the federal payment is sent to the person as usual.   

To contact CSE, please call the Customer Service Center at 1-888-7-KS-CHILD (1-888-757-2445), TTY: 1-888-688-1666.