September 6, 2013 Final Report
The Governor’s Childhood Poverty Task Force is looking at realistic, cost-effective, evidence-based approaches to addressing the problems of childhood poverty. All too often in our state, children who are living in poverty today become tomorrow’s poor parents. Intergenerational poverty such as this affects our state’s long-term productivity and wellbeing.
The Governor has pulled together a panel of Kansans from all walks of life to discuss and recommend the best ways Kansas can achieve one of the cornerstone goals of his administration, reducing childhood poverty. The documents provided here contain a wealth of statistics illustrating the seriousness of the problem, and represent the basis for the task force’s efforts.
June 24, 2013 Meeting
Review by Michelle Schroeder, Director of Policy and Legislative Affairs, DCF
March 4, 2013 Meeting
November 19, 2012 Meeting
- Presentation of State of the Family Report, Dr. Jared Anderson, Kansas State University
- Kansas Child and Family Wellbeing Indicators, Dr. Jared Anderson, Kansas State University
- Presentation by Page Walley, PhD, Casey Family Programs, How Are Kansas Children Doing?
- Presentation from Ron Haskins, The Brookings Institution, Rising to the Challenge: Reducing Child Poverty and Improving Childhood Outcomes in Kansas
- Presentation by Linda Malone-Colon, Chair of the Hampton University Department of Psychology, Addressing the Roots of Child Poverty: Strategies for Reducing Out-of-Wedlock Births
- Presentation of Town Hall Report on Reducing Child Poverty and Increasing Child Outcomes in Kansas by Charlie Griffin, Kansas State University
- Governor’s Town Hall Meetings Fact Sheet, Charlie Griffin, Kansas State University
Presentation of Current Family Strengthening Initiatives in Department for Children and Families:
- Brad Lambert, Co-Executive Director of Connections to Success
- Trisha Thomas, Director of Child Support Services, Department for Children and Families
- Gina Meier-Hummel, Director of Prevention and Protection Services, Department for Children and Families
- Michael Donnelly, Director of Rehabilitation Services and Jaryl Perkins, Director of Employment Services for Economic and Employment Services, Department for Children and Families
Task Force Members