The Consolidated Appropriations Act (PL 116-260) was signed into law on December 27, 2020. The Supporting Foster Youth and Families through the Pandemic Act (H.R. 7947) was included in the Consolidated Appropriations Act and provides funding to every state to support youth and young adults during the COVID-19 pandemic. The Kansas Department for Children and Families (DCF) has developed the Independent Living (IL) Pandemic Relief Program to provide financial assistance to eligible individuals.
IL Pandemic Relief Program recipients must meet the following requirements:
- Currently between the ages 18 and 20 (under age 21)
- Currently residing in Kansas
- Experienced out of home placement in the custody of one of the following agencies at age 14 or older:
- Kansas Department for Children and Families (formerly known as Social and Rehabilitation Services)
- Tribal Authority
- Kansas Department of Corrections- Juvenile Services (formerly known as Juvenile Justice Authority)
- Other State Child Welfare System (Verification of custody will be required for young adults who experienced custody in another state.)
- The applicant shall not have received an Independent Living Pandemic Relief Payment previously.
How to Apply
Online Form: To complete the application online, answer the Pre-Application Questions below and click on the link titled IL Pandemic Relief Online Application. You will be asked to upload a copy or photo of your identifying documentation: State Photo ID, Social Security Card, or Certified Birth Certificate. You will need to have these documents accessible while completing the application.
You may print this form and send the completed form to DCF Youth Programs via email, mail, fax, or in-person delivery. If you do not have access to a printer, please email DCF.AdminIL@ks.gov
and a copy will be mailed to you with an envelope for return.
Mail or In Person:
DCF Youth Programs
Kansas Department for Children and Families
Prevention and Protection Services
555 S. Kansas Avenue, 4th Floor
Topeka, KS 66603
By Fax: 785-296-4685